Tuesday 23 November 2010

That Wizard Cat Crookshanks

As anyone close to me is quite aware, my very favorite character from the Harry Potter series is Hermione's mouse-hating magical feline pet Crookshanks. When each Harry Potter volume was published, I would rush out to Walmart, buy my copy and read the entire volume in the car. Sometimes I would sit in that car for days! Of course, first I would scan the pages for any mention of Crookshanks and then read the sections where he would viciously hunt and kill a mouse, only to bring it back to life and kill it again (and again, and again and again.) Those pages were full of so much mouse blood and mouse entrails! Chapter after chapter of one mouse being killed, eaten, excreted and gloriously rejuvenated. And then cruelly tortured for what seemed like an eternity! Oh the magic of those Harry Potter books! Oh the childlike wonder of it all!

9 comments:

  1. ....umm, I can see that you are riffing on a theme here Bill. You should do this book and by all means call yourself R.J Rowling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon- Actually, I am such a good friend of J.K.Rowling's that she allows me to call her "R.J. Rowling" We're that close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, love the backstory! I bet it's all true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve- It IS all true!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you were in the car for days, what did you eat. And what did you pee in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm torn whether or not to believe this. It seems like something I would recall from reading the books, but I don't remember all that much of them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. George, Bill said it's true, so it MUST be true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim- As I was buying each Harry Potter book at Walmart, I would also buy grocery bags full of candy and snacks. Plus large plastic jugs of the cheapest generic cola I could find (usually a Walmart-produced brand.)

    Oh, and when I was done drinking one of the colas, the empty jug was perfect for peeing in!

    I miss Walmart...

    ReplyDelete
  9. George- I'd like to say I just made this stuff up, but there's no way I could make up stuff like this!

    After all, there's only one J.K.Rowling!

    ReplyDelete